Since 2007, FDA has received reports of illnesses in pets associated with the consumption of jerky pet treats. As of September 24, 2013, FDA has received approximately 3000 reports of pet illnesses which may be related to consumption of the jerky treats. The reports involve more than 3600 dogs, 10 cats and include more than 580 deaths.
FDA has issued several advisories to the public about the illnesses, and, while the rate of reports has declined since February 2013, we are still receiving new complaints. We continue to investigate these illnesses in conjunction with the Veterinary Laboratory Investigation and Response Network (Vet-LIRN) and State partners.
On October 22, 2013, FDA issued a Dear Veterinarian letter to licensed practitioners, encouraging them to provide case information to FDA and Vet-LIRN, and asking them to advise their clients about the illnesses. We are also providing a Fact Sheet for pet owners explaining what symptoms to look for and steps they can take to protect their pets’ health. We also remind pet owners that treats are not needed for a balanced diet.
As veterinarians, animal scientists and pet owners, we strive to make sure that the products FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine regulates are safe, effective and properly manufactured. We understand the love and devotion pets provide, and we are determined to find the answer to this mystery.
- CVM Update: FDA Releases Progress Report on Jerky Pet Treat Investigation
- Progress Report on Jerky Pet Treat Investigation: Where we are in the investigation, what we’ve done, and where we go from here.
- Dear Veterinarian Letter: How veterinarians can help us in our investigation by providing information about the pets they have treated, and by advising their clients about the illnesses associated with certain jerky pet treats.
- Fact Sheet for Pet Owners: What you can do to protect your pet.
- Consumer Update: Why Are Jerky Treats Making Pets Sick?
- Questions and Answers about the Investigation: Updated.
- Investigation Rationale and Results: FDA, together with its Vet-LIRN partners, have performed more than 1200 tests on more than 440 samples of jerky pet treats. What we tested the treats for and why—and what we found.
- Case Summaries: These spreadsheets list releasable details of the complaints received by FDA since 2010.